Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Orr Biophilia vs. Biophobia



"In varying degrees humans have always modified their environments." W.Orr 188

I 100% agree with this quote. Since humans first started to evolve they started to change the places they were living in to better accommodate their needs. To this day the human race continues to change their environment to "make life easier" as we like to say. In earlier times we would modify our environment to protect us from nature. Predators, climate, and anything else that could eliminate our chances for survival.

But is it possible for us to be neutral or "objective" towards life and nature? I do not think so. W.Orr 193



I don’t agree with what the author says here. I think everyone no matter how much they may dread nature has to feel some sort of connection to it since we all have to deal with it on a daily basis. We live on a planet full of life. Our everyday lives depend on nature. The air we need to survive comes from nature. Thanks to the trees in nature we can breath clean air. Each part of the planet has specific climate that we have to deal with on a daily basis. So I think humans have learned to be at least neutral towards nature. I have some days where I don’t really feel like being outside and there are days where that’s all I want to do. So I think in some way we are at least neutral towards nature.

"For our politics to work as they do, a large number of people must not like any nature that cannot be repackaged and sold back to them." Orr.192


I dont understand what the author means by "repackaged and sold back to them." Who does he mean by "them"? The public? I don't understand why politics would strive towards a biophobic society. We don't need to be biophobes in order to survive. Technology has been able to help us protect more of nature now. I think now that we see the importance of nature we have made critical progress towards protecting more of it. We have moved as a society towards clean energy which helps protect the planet which we benefit from.

I think the author had very interesting points and I think that biosphobia is something that is very much affecting many people. People are dreading going outside and connecting with nature but as a society we have to be thankful for nature and appreciate what nature offers us. And we should learn to preserve it.








No comments:

Post a Comment